Centre Wildlife Care Fawns   Bald Eagle   box turtle
Professional Care for Orphaned and Injured Wild Animals

Centre Wildlife Care on Facebook

What is Centre Wildlife Care (CWC)?

Centre Wildlife Care flyer (pdf)
News articles about CWC
Executive Director & Founder, Robyn Graboski

Centre Wildlife Care (CWC ) is a 501c3, non-profit, tax-exempt, licensed organization dedicated to caring for injured, orphaned, sick and displaced wildlife for the purpose of releasing them back into the wild.  Professional care is provided to over 1500 mammals, birds and reptiles per year.  Wild animals are not only accepted from Centre County, but also surrounding counties, other areas of the state and other rehabilitators.  CWC also provides educational programs with live animals to the public.  CWC is an all volunteer organization, funded only by donations and receives NO funding from local, state or federal agencies.

Where is CWC?

CWC is located between Port Matilda and State College at the base of skytop mountain.  Pre-release housing for the wildlife is located on 15 acres of woods on site and other locations.  Since the primary location is at a family home, hours are by appointment.  If you need help with a compromised wild animal, call and we will make arrangements to receive the animal and provide directions.

Who is CWC?

CWC is run by volunteers and is funded solely by donations.  The director and founder, Robyn Graboski, is a trained and Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator and has been rehabilitating wildlife since 1988.  Robyn is licensed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission, the Federal Fish and Wildlife Service, the Fish and Boat Commission and the USDA.

CWC is a home care organization with the primary facility in Port Matilda. CWC does offer opportunities for individuals to volunteer. Many of our volunteers are students from PSU that are majoring in Wildlife or Pre-vet. Volunteers can help in various ways. Some help with feeding, medications and cage cleaning. Some help by collecting donation of food, toweling and newspaper. Yet others help with administrative tasks and by transporting animals to the Veterinarian for medical care.

Local veterinarians (especially Animal Medical Hospital and CPVETS in State College) are generous enough to provide discounted services and supplies, for wildlife rehabilitation. This is quite a luxury for our organization and we are very thankful.  Many wildlife rehabilitators must pay full price for veterinary service.  This allows us to use our limited funds to provide a better service for the wildlife.

What is wildlife rehabilitation?

Wildlife Rehabilitation is the process of caring for orphaned, injured, sick or displaced wild animals until they can be returned back into the wild. Their injuries are usually a result of human influence in some way (e.g. hit by car, construction, landscaping, cat/dog caught, shot, poisoned, etc.)

How are animals transported to CWC?

Because CWC is a volunteer based organization, we usually cannot pick up animals.  We ask that the animals be transported to the rehabilitation facility or to our vet Animal Medical Hospital in State College or CPVETS after hours.  Our care takers cannot leave the facility to pick up animals.  They are busy caring for the animals at the facility.   If you cannot transport an animal, give us a call and we will "try" to find a volunteer to help you.  However, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to find anyone since we do rely on volunteers.  That is why we urge people to transport the animal ASAP to our vet or to our facility for care.  If  it is compromised, then it should get help right away.  Never feed or water an animal that is compromised.  If you find a person hit by a car, you don't take them out to eat...you take them to the hospital.  An animal needs to be evaluated first and provided medical care and fluids before any food can be offered.  

What is needed to become a wildlife rehabilitator?

First, proper permits are required. Both state and federal permits are required to handle wildlife. Pennsylvania requires individuals to submit an application and pass a test administered by the Pennsylvania Game Commission before they can become licensed.  If rehabilitators wish to work with birds, a federal permit is required because all native species of birds are protected under the Migratory Bird Species Act.  

Wildlife rehabilitators are required to keep detailed records on all rehabilitated animals. These records are submitted annually to state and federal agencies. In Pennsylvania, continuing education is required to maintain licensing as a wildlife rehabilitator.  In addition, rehabilitation facilities are subject to surprise inspections at any time by the PA Game Commission.

What CWC is not

CWC is not an animal control agency and has no law enforcement or animal seizure jurisdiction.  CWC is not a care or adoption facility for domestic animals such as dogs and cats.  CWC is not a political activist organization and does not engage in efforts to change existing laws regarding hunting or animal rights issues.  CWC is not a pest removal service which requires a different permit.  

How is CWC funded?

CWC relies on donations from the general public, fundraising events and a few small grants.  Many people believe that CWC is funded by the state...we are NOT.  CWC gets no funding from the government and relies on donations and a volunteer staff.

squirrel prints